Gain experience in content writing, creative writing, SEO, and blog management at an environmental non-profit
Are you a strong writer with a passion for the environment? We have an exciting creative writing opportunity for you to be part of Greenpop; a dynamic environmental organisation based in Cape Town.
This young but fast-growing NGO, runs environmental projects in Southern Africa and encourages people to get active, not anxious, about sustainability. With its strong focus on creating useful and positive green content, Greenpop has a dedicated communications team that can always do with extra input. During the Content Writing internship, you’ll get the opportunity to be part of an energetic team, get valuable experience in content writing, creative writing, SEO and blog management and contribute to a worthwhile cause.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Digital marketing, creative writing|
|Varies with accommodation|
Greenpop is a nonprofit organization that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects. Based from Cape Town, South Africa, Greenpop plants trees and creates gardens at schools in underprivileged areas and works to regenerate indigenous forests throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. And as part of their mission to encourage a treevolution, the organization has a strong focus on activating people – both Africans and people from around the world – to participate in their projects.
Greenpop is motivated by the vision of a world in which people and nature thrive together. Since they kickstarted their programs in 2010, the team has planted over 190,000 trees and activated over 300,000 citizens to get active in protecting their environment.
- Urban greening: concentrate on planting fynbos gardens and trees in urban spaces and run school-based eco-education workshops in marginalized communities. It also aims to create biodiversity corridors across Cape Town.
- Forest restoration: plants trees, clears alien vegetation, and works with communities to protect indigenous forests, restore degraded forest areas, and increase biodiversity.
- Sustainable development and environmental art projects on an ad hoc basis: these give communities tools to improve their lives while effectively managing their natural resources and create public art and music which brings awareness to local environmental issues.
- Events: experiential and educational events. Think of interactive educational workshops on a variety of environmental, entrepreneurial and leadership topics for school groups, corporate teams and the general public. They aim to equip people with the skills they need to get active (not anxious) about the future of our planet.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
Greenpop is an active organization that puts a large emphasis on reaching large audiences with its message. This involves strong communication efforts with different groups of people; project beneficiaries, (potential) funders, volunteers, interns, partners, stakeholders and anyone interested in sustainability and greening. As a Creative Writing intern in Greenpop’s Communications Department, you can be part of these efforts.
What you’ll do
- Writing copy and content for our website, blog, articles, newsletters, and potentially a bit of social media.
- Writing press releases
- Writing content for grant applications
- All interns with Greenpop assist with office support, workshops, plant days, eco-hub open days.
Skills or abilities you will learn while working with Greenpop
You will gain experience in the following main areas
– Digital marketing
Main skills that can be developed
– Writing skills
– Strategic communication skills
– Research skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Some experience in creative writing, copywriting, or academic writing
- Knowledge of Wordpress is nice to have
- Work well in a team
- Bring your own laptop
This organization also offers internships in Fundraising, Media and Design, Digital Marketing, Urban Greening.
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at the Lenox, a comfortable guest house in the heart of Cape Town. Built in the old Cape Dutch style, the Lenox is characterful and spacious. It has a garden with a barbeque area, a large dining room, and several other communal spaces. Shared bedrooms take four to eight people, and there are plenty of single rooms available as well (at an extra fee). You’ll be walking distance from a wide range of shops, cafes and restaurants, and at a great spot for some of the touristy highlights Cape Town has to offer as well. (As well as for views of Table Mountain!)
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
3 MONTHS USD 2,382
4 MONTHS USD 2,949
5 MONTHS USD 3,517
6 MONTHS USD 4,084
Remote internship: USD 525
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose.
What you are paying for:
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Accommodation based on a dorm room (4-8 pax). If you prefer a single room, please contact us for availability and prices
- Two meals (breakfast and dinner) a day from Monday to Friday
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- Free WiFi
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Meals during the weekend
- Transport to the office
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Digital marketing, creative writing|
|From USD 2,382 (in-person) / USD 525 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”Somehow the world got bigger and smaller at the same time over the last six months. Things seem more complex, but the ability to have an impact now truly feels within my reach.Ivy, United StatesCreative Writing Internship, Cape Town
- Gain practical experience in copywriting, digital marketing, and fundraising
- Contribute to a charity on a mission to plant trees, green communities and empower environmental stewards across Sub-Saharan Africa
- Develop your creative writing, strategic communications, and research skills
- Gain a full insight in the day to day running of a nonprofit organisation
- Live and work in Cape Town, arguably one of the most stunning cities in the world.
Enjoy exploring South Africa’s many highlights during your time off
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!