Use your communication skills to support marginalized refugees and asylum seekers
Venture to Cape Town (or, work remotely) to join an organization that provides support to marginalised refugees and asylum seekers. If you’re looking to gain practical work experience in communications and digital marketing within a nonprofit context, this is a wonderful opportunity.
You’ll be part of the Adonis Musati Project, a nonprofit organisation that’s on a mission to equip refugees in Cape Town with the skills and tools to become healthy and financially stable members of society. They do this by providing mental health support, offering skill development programs, and creating sustainable support systems. It’s important work, as refugees and migrants are some of the most vulnerable people in South African society.
As an intern, you’ll enjoy a varied work environment. Most of your tasks will be focused on communications (social media and website management, report writing, and digital campaigns), but you can also expect to learn about impact assessment, partnership development, and fundraising. This internship is a wonderful opportunity to gain a thorough understanding of the nonprofit sector, to get a wealth of practical work experience, and to make a difference in the lives of people through your work.
The right candidate for this internship has excellent writing and communications skills, some digital media experience, and a drive to be part of a social impact program. Ideally, you’ll join the team in Cape Town, but remote internships will also be considered.
|Cape Town, South Africa OR remote|
|Writing, Digital Marketing, Social Media|
|Min. 12 weeks|
The Adonis Musati Project is on a mission to support marginalized refugees and migrants in Cape Town. These groups are amongst the most vulnerable populations in South Africa, due to an unfortunate combination of ineffective government systems, a lack of organized support, and prevailing xenophobic attitudes. The organization is named after Adonis Musati, a young Zimbabwean asylum seeker who symbolizes the problem; he died of starvation on the streets of Cape Town in 2007. Soon after, the Adonis Musati Project was founded with the aim of offering refugees and migrants psychological support with traumas they’re dealing with, short-term food and shelter if needed, and skill development programs. The nonprofit also provides specialized support to women who have been the victim of violence or abuse, and they run education-focused youth programs.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an intern with this refugee charity, your role will be mostly focused around digital marketing and communications tasks. There might also be an overlap into fundraising. Depending on your skills, academic background, and interests, your tasks can include the following;
- Managing social media channels and assisting with developing a social media strategy
- Writing newsletters
- Assisting with website management
- Writing impact reports
- Assisting with developing an overall communications strategy
- Creating and running online fundraising campaigns
- Writing grant applications
- Creating funding proposals
- Doing research
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Good time management skills
- Experience in social media management and/or website management would be an advantage
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- Photography and/or videography skills would be bonus
- A passion for the work the Adonis Musati Project does
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Check this page for possible accommodation options in Cape Town.
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed during the application process. Please keep in mind this organization is closed for several weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported.
What you are paying for:
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding and booking you accommodation
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- On the ground support during your stay
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Monthly rental fee
- Daily transport from the accommodation to the office
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|Writing, Digital Marketing, Social Media|
|Min. 12 Weeks|
|From USD 475|
- Boost your resume with practical experience in a range of communications focused tasks
- Get a full understanding of the day to day running of a nonprofit organization
- Contribute to an important cause
- Be a big part of a small team and really see the results of your work
- Live and work in Cape Town (one of the coolest cities in the world!) or enjoy the flexibility of working remotely
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!
Digital Marketing Internship with Animal Rescue Center
Min. 8 weeks
Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote
Website Management, Fundraising, Marketing, Grant Writing, Research
Find yourself rewarded by doing impactful digital marketing, and surrounded by puppies!