Gain finance management and income generation experience with a social business
Have you ever thought of doing your finance internship in Africa? Here’s a wonderful opportunity to join a social enterprise with a purpose-driven mandate in Malawi, and take on a varied finance management role.
You’ll join Supreme, a social business that produces sanitary products for girls and women; something that isn’t readily available in many communities. Supreme’s mission is to empower women to have safe and hygienic periods, and to break persisting taboos around menstrual cycles. The company puts 100% of profits back into its mission, runs an aligned nonprofit organization focused on education, and is heavily focused on local job creation.
Your role during this finance internship is to help manage and further develop Supreme’s financial systems, to assist with income generation, and to implement donations. It’s a chance to get very practical financial management experience under your belt, to challenge yourself by working on a strategic level, and to contribute to a worthwhile social mission.
Learning outcomes of this finance internship in Malawi;
- Practical experience in bookkeeping, donation management, and creating financial reports
- Insights into income generation within a social enterprise
- Experience on a strategic level with streamlining and developing financial systems
- A thorough understanding of the day to day running of a social business in an African context
- International work experience
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
Based in Malawi, Supreme is a social enterprise that creates reusable sanitary pads and spreads education around menstrual hygiene in local communities. Their aim is to allow girls and women to have safe and hygienic periods, and to be able to fully participate in society throughout their menstrual cycle. Through their social business, Supreme tackles two issues; the lack of access to menstrual products for many women in Malawi, and the persisting traditional beliefs around menstrual cycles that stop girls and women from going to school or their jobs.
Supreme reinvests 100% of their profit into their business, and supports the local economy through job training and employment. In addition, the team runs a nonprofit organization through which they provide necessary educational programs throughout rural communities in northern Malawi.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a finance intern in Malawi, your tasks will include the following;
- Assisting with donation management
- Creating annual reports
- Assisting with bookkeeping activities
- Helping to streamline systems
- Doing fundraising research
- Putting together funding proposals and grant applications
- Relevant academic background
- Strong organizational systems thinking skills
- An ability to work and think on a strategic level
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
- An ability to work quite independently and take initiative
- A passion for the work Supreme is doing
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
During your internship, you’ll be lucky enough to stay at a lodge in the northern town of Nkhata Bay. Located on the banks of Lake Malawi, with views of palm trees and green-blue water, this lodge has an idyllic location and a relaxed vibe. You’ll enjoy a private beach, beautiful gardens, a beach bar, and several communal spaces. The rooms are comfortable dormitories, although there are options of upgrading to single chalets, too. The lodge is a hub for people who are volunteering their time at different community and environmental projects in the area, so you can expect to share this gorgeous space with like-minded people.
You’ll be a short drive away from the Supreme office.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
2 months USD 1,601
3 months USD 1,929
4 months USD 2,256
5 months USD 2,584
6 months USD 2,912
What you are paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Accommodation (shared)
- Two meals a day for the first month
- On the ground support during your stay
- Flights to Malawi
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals: your meals are included for the first month. For the following months, you can prepare your own meals or opt to book the meal package for two meals a day for USD 270 per month.
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
- Airport transfer to Nkhata Bay (approximately 400 km)
- Daily transport to the project
- In case of late arrival: extra night in accommodation in Lilongwe
- Daily transport to the office
Personal Development Sessions
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi|
|Accounting, reporting, fundraising|
|Min. 2 months|
|From USD 1,601|
- Gain a wealth of practical experience in financial management, donation management and implementation, and system development
- Help with income generation through fundraising strategy and campaigns
- Be part of an inspiring social enterprise that offers valuable support to Malawian women
- Get insights into the day to day running of nonprofit community programs
- Enjoy comfortable accommodation with an idyllic location (on the banks of Lake Malawi!)
- Live and work in a welcoming Malawian community with beautiful natural surroundings
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a booking process, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!