Get practical work experience in event planning and coordination as part of an inspiring program
We’re excited to offer this event management internship in Ghana; a great opportunity to get practical work experience in planning and coordinating events, to live and work in a welcoming Ghanaian community, and to support a nonprofit organization that uses sports as a tool for good.
You’ll join the Impact Youth Foundation, a charity that offers sports coaching and mentorship to young people in rural Ghana. Through sports coaching, the Impact Youth programs teach life skills, nurture talent, and boost confidence in kids that need it. As an event management intern, you’ll join the small and dedicated team on the ground and assist with planning and running sports events, educational sessions, and fundraising events. There’s an opportunity to also get involved in doing some of the sports coaching, should you be interested in this.
The ideal candidate for this internship has a go-getter attitude, a passion for sports, and great organizational skills. If it sounds like the opportunity you’re looking for, we’d love to hear from you!
|Event planning & coordination|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
The Impact Youth Foundation is a nonprofit organisation that offers sports coaching in a rural community in Ghana. The nonprofit uses sports – and particularly basketball – as a tool for equipping people with relevant life skills, and allowing at-risk youth to pursue successful careers. Through their different programs, Impact Youth provides mentoring to talented kids, as well as sports classes for the community at large, in an effort to encourage healthy living and boost confidence in kids. In addition, they offer vocational training and apprenticeships to equip young people with employability skills.
The Impact Youth Foundation is based in a village on the outskirts of Accra, Ghana’s capital. Most sports training happens there, though the organization also runs sports programs in Accra and Kumasi.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an event management intern, you’ll enjoy a variety of tasks, which – depending on your skills and experience – can include;
- Planning and coordinating fundraising and promotional events such as sports events and dinners
- Researching prospective program and event partners
- Attending partnership and collaborative events to connect with new partners
- Helping develop funding models for our programs and events
- Planning (and potentially leading) weekly basketball, soccer, and volleyball coaching the Impact Youth Sports Village
- Planning (and potentially coaching) at weekend and holiday basketball camps in the Accra and Kumasi
- Planning and leading weekly group mentorship meetings with students
- Strong organizational skills
- Ideally some event coordination experience, or the right academic background
- Great communication skills
- A passion for the projects you’ll be working on
- A go-getter attitude and ability to work independently
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You can either stay in a private apartment or with a Ghanaian family. If you opt for the apartment, you’ll enjoy a comfortable one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen, lounge, double bedroom, and bathroom. You’ll be about 35 minutes from the Impact Village and you’ll be able to take Ubers or public buses to work.
If you opt for a homestay, we’ll match you with a Ghanaian family who will welcome you into their home. You’ll have your own bedroom and you’ll be offered breakfast and dinner on a daily basis. We’ll work out transportation to and from work for you, depending on where you’ll be based exactly.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with this organization every week.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
8 weeks USD 2,453
10 weeks USD 2,915
12 weeks USD 3,377
14 weeks USD 3,839
16 weeks USD 4,301
18 weeks USD 4,763
20 weeks USD 5,225
What you’re paying for:
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Flight to Ghana
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Daily transport to the office
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Event planning & coordination|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 2,453|
- Boost your resume with practical experience in event planning and coordination
- Get experience in fundraising, if you’re interested
- Be part of an exciting initiative that provides sports coaching in an underserved community in Ghana
- Be a big part of a small team and really see the results of your work
- Live and work in rural Ghana
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!