Get valuable and rewarding experience in education within a nonprofit context
If you’re a passionate educator, or if you’re keen to get experience in the education sector, this teaching and curriculum development internship could be a great opportunity for you. As an intern, you’ll venture to Livingstone, Zambia, to help use quality education as a tool for empowerment – a highly rewarding experience.
You’ll join the Free Haven Community Initiative, a nonprofit organization that’s on a mission to help Zambian families break the cycle of poverty. They do this through a variety of methods, including nutrition, health services, empowerment programs, and education. The education projects are designed to provide quality education to kids who might otherwise have no access to it, and to ensure that kids with learning challenges don’t stay behind.
As an education intern, you’ll teach children in subjects that they’re lagging behind in, and you’ll also work alongside local teachers to improve on the overall curriculum. On top of this, you’ll assist the nonprofit’s CEO in developing educational materials for a gender equality workshop program.
This teaching and curriculum development internship is a wonderful opportunity to boost your resume with practical work experience, while contributing to an important nonprofit initiative. It’s also a chance to live and work in Livingstone, a welcoming town surrounded by natural beauty.
Learning outcomes of this communications internship;
- Practical teaching experience
- Experience in developing education materials
- An understanding of the challenges within the education sector in the context of a developing country
- A thorough understanding of the work involved in managing a grassroots social impact program
- International work experience
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
The Free Haven Community Initiative is a nonprofit organization on a mission to help families in Livingstone, Zambia break the cycle of poverty. They achieve this through four areas; education, nutrition, health services, and empowerment programs. Examples of Free Haven’s projects are tutoring programs for children who struggle at school, lunch schemes and health education, and sponsorship programs for kids who cannot afford school fees and uniforms. In order to combat gender inequality, the nonprofit also runs community workshops to raise awareness on gender-based violence, sexual health, and other related topics.
By uplifting the community through a multi-faceted approach, the Free Haven Community Initiative provides people – mostly children – with the tools to become thriving members of the community, and help both themselves and their families climb out of poverty. This, in turn, adds value to the community as a whole, and a sustainable development is set in motion.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a teaching & curriculum development intern, your tasks will include the following;
- Overseeing lesson plans and working with local teachers on improving / streamlining them
- Assisting the organization’s CEO with revising the National Zambian Comprehensive Sexual Health Curriculum for grades 5 – 12
- Helping with managing and evaluation the extra lesson program
- Helping with monitoring and evaluation activities and evaluation activities
- Assist the CEO with overall management and strategy work
- Relevant academic background in education or a related field
- Ideally some experience in teaching and/or curriculum development
- A proactive and flexible approach
- A strong passion for education, and the work the organization does
- A flexible attitude, as you’ll be living and working in a foreign culture
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You will be based in Livingstone, a welcoming town in a unique setting. You’ll be just a short drive away from the banks of the mighty Zambezi River, and the famous Victoria Falls – so there will be plenty of opportunities to take sunset boat cruises (while spotting hippos, crocodiles or elephants!), go rafting, and be awed by the immense power of the falls. But there is plenty more that makes Livingstone appealing. During your time off, you might go on safari, do some of the daredevil activities the area is known for, or stroll around the local markets.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! You’ll stay at a comfortable lodge in the heart of Livingstone, and close to your internship. We can offer you dorm or single rooms, and you’ll have use of a great number of facilities, including a large pool.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
8 weeks USD 1,998
10 weeks USD 2,345
12 weeks USD 2,692
14 weeks USD 3,038
16 weeks USD 3,385
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation based on a dorm room. If you prefer a single or shared room, please contact us for availability and prices
- Two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) from Monday to Friday
- Airport transfers on your arrival and departure day
- Daily transport to the project
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Support on the ground
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
|Community Development NGO|
|Education, Management, Curriculum development|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,998|
- Put your education skills to good use and gain a wealth of practical experience
- Help develop education materials that will support kids from underserved communities
- Be part of community development projects that are having a tangible impact
- Boost your resume with unique international nonprofit experience
- Live and work in Livingstone, a friendly and vibrant community with stunning natural surroundings (and plenty to do in your time off!)
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a booking process, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!