Gain experience in social media, community management and digital marketing at an environmental non-profit
Are you a strong communicator and passionate about the environment? We have an exciting Digital Marketing opportunity for you to be part of Greenpop; a dynamic environmental organisation based in Cape Town.
This young but fast-growing NGO runs environmental projects in Southern Africa. They also activate large groups of people to get involved in their green mission. With its strong focus on spreading its message, Greenpop has a dedicated communications team that can always do with extra input. During this Digital Marketing Internship in Cape Town, you will be part of an energetic team and gain valuable experience digital fundraising, social media, public relations and digital marketing while contributing to a worthwhile cause.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Remote: USD 475 – In-person: Varies with accommodation type.|
Greenpop is a nonprofit organization that runs urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education projects. Based from Cape Town, South Africa, Greenpop plants trees and creates gardens at schools in underprivileged areas and works to regenerate indigenous forests throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. And as part of their mission to encourage a treevolution, the organization has a strong focus on activating people – both Africans and people from around the world – to participate in their projects.
Greenpop is motivated by the vision of a world in which people and nature thrive together. Since they kickstarted their programs in 2010, the team has planted over 190,000 trees and activated over 300,000 citizens to get active in protecting their environment.
- Urban greening: concentrate on planting fynbos gardens and trees in urban spaces and run school-based eco-education workshops in marginalized communities. It also aims to create biodiversity corridors across Cape Town.
- Forest restoration: plants trees, clears alien vegetation, and works with communities to protect indigenous forests, restore degraded forest areas, and increase biodiversity.
- Sustainable development and environmental art projects on an ad hoc basis: these give communities tools to improve their lives while effectively managing their natural resources and create public art and music which brings awareness to local environmental issues.
- Events: experiential and educational events. Think of interactive educational workshops on a variety of environmental, entrepreneurial and leadership topics for school groups, corporate teams and the general public. They aim to equip people with the skills they need to get active (not anxious) about the future of our planet.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
Greenpop is an active organisation that puts large emphasis on reaching large audiences with its message. This involves strong communication efforts with different groups of people; project beneficiaries, (potential) funders, volunteers, interns, partners, stakeholders and anyone interested in sustainability and greening. As a Digital Marketing Intern in Greenpop’s Communications Department, you can be part of these efforts.
What you’ll do
- Assist in defining communications strategy.
- Coordinating the distribution of our creative content through the appropriate channels – social media, website, traditional media, poster campaigns, talks, live activations, etc.
- Writing pitches and press releases to expand media relations and our brand footprint.
- Manage the media database (& research new media partners and channels).
- Managing contact database for partners, agents and career centers at universities.
- Fostering an engaged online community and interacting with them in a way that leads to sales conversions and donations.
- Attending relevant events and meetings.
- Researching new communications opportunities.
- All interns at Greenpop assist with office support, workshops, plant days and eco-hub open days.
You will gain experience in the following main areas
– Digital marketing
– Social media marketing
– Community management
– Public Relations
Main skills that can be developed
– Strategic communication skills
– Networking skills
– Research skills
This organization also offers internships in Fundraising, Writing, Media and Design, and Urban Greening.
- Strong written and spoken English
- Some experience in social media management is nice to have.
- Work well in a team
- Bring your own laptop
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! We’re excited to offer a variety of options, ranging from dorm rooms to twin and single rooms. The options available depend on your internship period, but we’ll always make sure you’re in a comfortable, central, and safe place. Check this page for possible accommodation options in Cape Town.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with Greenpop every first and third Tuesday of the month. Please keep in mind Greenpop is closed for two weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
At Roots, we do everything we can to make your internship experience smooth and hassle-free. We offer an all-inclusive service, which means we will help you find the right internship (we believe we are great matchmakers!), help you with visa arrangements, book accommodation for you in Cape Town, give you all the pre-departure information you need before arriving, pick you up from the airport and check in with you while on your work placement to ensure you feel supported. Your exact fee depends on the accommodation you choose.
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation based on a dorm room in shared apartment within walking distance of the office
- Free WiFi
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Check-in and feedback as well as a reference letter after your internship
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- On the ground support during your stay
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Remote: USD 475 – In-person: Varies with accommodation type.|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”During my internship I was responsible for the program communications, blog posts and the newsletters. It's a small organization so I was able to be involved in a lot of things and have some responsibility. Shortly after I started, they launched their new program, Fynbos for the Future where they plant Fynbos gardens with outdoor classrooms at schools in Cape Town. I was part of the school selection process and set up the ten school profiles for the website. When we had the first planting day at one of the schools, it was amazing to see all the hard work that the team put into this program pay off.Hanna, The NetherlandsDigital Marketing Internship, Cape Town
- Gain practical experience in community management, digital marketing, and social media marketing
- Contribute to a charity on a mission to plant trees, green communities and empower environmental stewards across Sub-Saharan Africa
- Develop your networking, strategic communications, and research skills
- Gain a full insight in the day to day running of a nonprofit organisation
- Live and work in Cape Town, arguably one of the most stunning cities in the world
Enjoy exploring South Africa’s many highlights during your time off
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!
Digital Marketing Internship with Animal Rescue Center
Min. 8 weeks
Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote
Website Management, Fundraising, Marketing, Grant Writing, Research
Find yourself rewarded by doing impactful digital marketing, and surrounded by puppies!