Join a community radio station in the making for a varied media internship
You can either work remotely, from home, or venture to this rural community in Malawi – either way, you’ll have a unique experience of working in an international environment and helping establish a medium that will play an important cultural role.
As an intern, you’ll be playing an important role in the development stage of a radio station in Nkhata Bay, a rural community on the shores of Lake Malawi. This initiative is registered as a nonprofit organization, and it has recently renovated a studio. They’re in the process of fundraising, and once there are sufficient funds, the radio station will go live.
Depending on your interests and skills, you can get involved in working with local journalists and broadcasters to create broadcasting ideas, prepare stories, and develop a voice for the station. There’s also an opportunity to work on the fundraising and communications side of this venture, which can involve managing social media channels, reaching out to potential donors, and helping define a communications strategy.
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote|
|Community media nonprofit|
|Marketing, Storytelling, Fundraising, Communications|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,320|
You’ll be part of a community media group that is developing a local radio station. This nonprofit initiative is run by the local community, with the aim to disseminate important and uplifting information to the surrounding rural villages. The station is aiming to celebrate regional culture, while telling stories that are useful to people in their everyday lives. The broadcasts will be done in Tonga, Chichewa, and English.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
Your tasks during this internship will depend heavily on your academic background and interests, your skills, and your experience. They can include the following:
- Managing digital marketing and communications channels
- Helping develop communications strategies
- Creating and spreading sponsorship proposals
- Doing fundraising research
- Helping define a broadcasting plan
- Finding local stories to tell and prepare broadcasts
- Helping create a marketing plan for the radio station and finding advertisers
- Ideally some working experience in media
- Great communication skills
- A willingness to working in a culturally different environment
- An ability to work independently
- A passion for storytelling
- Some broadcasting experience would be ideal
- A self-starter attitude
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You can do this internship remotely, or you can venture to Malawi. If you join us on the ground, you’ll stay at a lodge in the northern town of Nkhata Bay. Located on the banks of Lake Malawi, with views of palm trees and green-blue water, this lodge has an idyllic location and a relaxed vibe. You’ll enjoy a private beach, beautiful gardens, a beach bar, and several communal spaces. The rooms are comfortable dormitories, although there are options of upgrading to single chalets, too. The lodge is a hub for people who are volunteering their time at different community and environmental projects in the area, so you can expect to share this gorgeous space with like-minded people
DATES & RATES
Start and end dates of the internship are flexible and will be discussed during the application process.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
2 months USD 1,487
3 months USD 1,970
4 months USD 2,454
5 months USD 2,938
6 months USD 3,422
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation (shared)
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Supervision during your internship
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- On the ground support during your stay
- Flights to Malawi
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Meals: you can prepare your own meals or opt to book the meal package for two meals a day for USD 270 per month.
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing).
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
- Airport transfer to Nkhata Bay (approximately 400 km)
- In case of late arrival: extra night in accommodation in Lilongwe
Personal Development Sessions
|Nkhata Bay, Malawi OR Remote|
|Community Media Nonprofit|
|Marketing, Storytelling, Fundraising, Communications, Radio|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,487|
- Gain practical work experience in communications, fundraising, and/or broadcasting
- Immerse yourself in Malawian culture and adapt the flexibility to work in such a different environment
- Contribute to the development of a community run radio station
- Live and work in a beautiful part of Malawi
- Have the flexibility of working remotely
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!
Digital Marketing Internship with Animal Rescue Center
Min. 8 weeks
Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote
Website Management, Fundraising, Marketing, Grant Writing, Research
Find yourself rewarded by doing impactful digital marketing, and surrounded by puppies!