HELP DEVELOP FOOD GARDENS FOR neighborhoods in need
Be part of an exciting social enterprise in Cape Town, South Africa, that creates organic food gardens in communities that deal with socio-economic problems. As an intern, you’ll contribute to the sustainability and overall success of this initiative – a unique learning experience in an incredible setting!
You’ll join Neighborhood Farm, a program that increases food security, educates children on growing food, and encourages micro-enterprises in neighborhoods in need. As part of their dedicated team, you’ll assist with developing and managing strong systems that measure and report the organization’s impact. It’s a great opportunity to gain work experience in impact assessment, donor relation management, and reporting. You’ll also have the chance to get involved in fundraising research and campaigns.
This sustainability internship provides amazing exposure to the nonprofit sector, and an opportunity to develop a wide range of skills.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Food security, Urban farming|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
During this sustainability internship, you’ll join Neighbourhood Farm; a social enterprise focused on improving food security in communities in and around Cape Town, South Africa. By installing and managing organic food gardens in communities and at schools, the Neighborhood Farm team achieves several goals; they improve access to healthy food, educate people – especially children – on the importance of nutrition and on how to grow food, and they help create sales outlets for any surplus food. This means that food security is improved, mindsets get changed, and income is generated for people who need it.
Neighbourhood Farm firmly believes that everyone has the right to nutritious food and the knowledge to grow it themselves. Their gardens provide inspiring spaces that bring communities together in the best way possible.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an intern, you’ll assist with the impact assessment and overall sustainability of Neighborhood Farm. Depending on your skills and experience – can include;
- Assisting with Monitoring & Evaluation of projects
- Creating impact reports
- Managing donor relationships
- Developing and managing backend systems to ensure an efficient work flow
- If you’re interested, assisting with fundraising research and campaigns
- Strong analytical skills
- A strong interest in the sustainability of nonprofit organizations
- A go-getter attitude and ability to work independently
- An interest in and passion for the work Neighborhood Farm does
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at a volunteer house called Yoga Shala, a house in Capri, on Cape Town’s Southern Peninsula. It’s a shared house where people from around the world stay while interning or volunteering in the surrounding communities. Everyone at the house plays a role and assists in the general day to day operation of yoga shala, from the kitchen to gardening and cleaning, which creates a great community in the house. You’ll be surrounded by beaches and mountains, and Cape Town’s city center is a 40-minute drive away.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with this organization every week. Please keep in mind this organization is closed for several weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
8 weeks USD 2,432
12 weeks USD 3,295
16 weeks USD 4,158
20 weeks USD 5,021
26 weeks USD 6,316
Remote internship USD 525
What you are paying for:
- Daily breakfast and dinner
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- On the ground support during your stay and troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Transport to community farms and/or office
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|Food security, Urban Farming|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 2,432 (in-person) / USD 525 (remote)|
WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
”Roots Intern provides many different internship opportunities and puts effort in finding a fitting internship consistent with the applicants interests. They are welcoming any concerns or questions and provide as much information as you need.Nadia, Switzerland, Sustainability Internship
As Neighbourhood Farm is currently trying to find a new suitable model for the organization, I made SWOT analyses of Neighbourhood Farm itself and all relevant competitors to analyze the strengths, weaknesses and opportunities not only to find the best model possible and to find a niche for the farm but also to find potential partners. Furthermore, I searched for logistic options for the distribution of the fresh produce. I got an insight in how a non-profit organization works and how intense it can be having to make decisions, manage different issues coming up, following the social mission but also meet the financial needs. I am looking forward to using my experience gathered during this internship in my future academic and professional path.
- Boost your resume with practical experience in project development and impact assessment
- Contribute to the ongoing development and sustainability of an exciting social enterprise
- Gain a thorough understanding of the nonprofit sector
- Live and work in Cape Town (one of the coolest cities in the world!) and be part of projects in the field. Or enjoy the comfort of your home if you prefer a remote internship
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!
Nonprofit Sustainability Internship with Food Security Program
Cape Town, South Africa
Food security, Urban Farming
Help increase food security, educate children on growing food, and encourage micro-enterprises in neighborhoods in need.
Organic Farming and Water Management Internship, Cape Town
Min. 8 weeks
Cape Town, South Africa
Food security, Urban Farming, Land / Water Management
Help develop food gardens to increase food security and spread education on growing organic food.
Communications & Fundraising Internship with Food Security Program
Min. 8 weeks
Cape Town, South Africa
Communications, Writing, Fundraising
Help increase food security and encourage economic development in and around Cape Town.