Get experience in communications within the context of a social impact program
Become a storyteller for a community development initiative in rural South Africa, and help this program reach a wider audience. This internship is a wonderful opportunity to develop your writing skills, gain experience in all aspects of nonprofit communications, and – not unimportantly – to live right on the beach.
You’ll be based in Coffee Bay, a rural community on South Africa’s stunning Wild Coast, and you’ll be part of an education focused nonprofit organization. Addressing the poverty and unemployment that many communities face in this area, the nonprofit offers quality education for children, skill development programs for adults, and access to various social services. As an intern, you’ll gather stories in the field, and help manage and develop the organization’s communications platforms. You can expect a highly varied work experience, and a good insight into the role storytelling plays in raising awareness for a good cause.
This communications internship is an excellent opportunity for someone who’s passionate about social development, creative with their writing, and excited about the prospect of living in a beautiful rural location. (The surfing and hiking opportunities are phenomenal!)
Learning outcomes of this communications internship;
- A wealth of practical experience in content gathering, writing for a variety of platforms, managing social media channels, and communications strategy
- An understanding of digital marketing and fundraising
- Field-based experience in community development
- Insights into of the day to day running of a nonprofit organization
- International work experience
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
Sustainable Coffee Bay is a nonprofit organization based in South Africa’s Wild Coast, a rugged area on the country’s east coast. The nonprofit is on a mission to improve the quality of education and increase career prospects for the rural communities surrounding the town of Coffee Bay. They do this through three main focus areas; early childhood education, education and youth development, and rural assistance. By offering quality education for children of all ages, improving people’s access to social services, and providing skill development opportunities, Sustainable Coffee Bay ensures that poverty and the rural nature of this area stop being obstacles to people’s livelihoods.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an NGO storytelling intern, your tasks will include the following;
- Managing and developing social media channels
- Gathering stories and visual material on the projects that can be put out on all communications platforms
- Doing communications and digital fundraising research
- Assisting with website management and development
- Running online fundraising campaigns
- Creating newsletters and writing blog content
- Assisting with system development
- Strong writing and communication skills
- An ability to translate stories in the field into powerful communication tools
- Some experience in social media management would be good
- Ideally an eye for photography and/or videography
- An ability to work quite independently and take initiative
- A love for rural locations
- A passion for the community development work Sustainable Coffee Bay is doing
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be lucky enough to stay at Coffee Shack, a comfortable backpackers lodge with a phenomenal setting. Located right on the beach, Coffee Shack consists of thatched-roof huts as bedrooms and a number of charismatic common areas, including a restaurant and bar, kitchens, and a barbeque area. There are hammocks to relax in, and spectacular views to take in. You’ll also enjoy a free laundry service and free wifi.
This setting is a perfect place to relax and enjoy rural Africa. The surfing opportunities are excellent, and keen hikers are treated to a great number of stunning trails. There are also opportunities to explore the striking caves, cliffs, and waterfalls along the Wild Coast, and should you want to explore further afield, there are shuttles that go into Mthatha, from where there are many exciting travel options.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
8 weeks USD 1,531
12 weeks USD 1,981
16 weeks USD 2,431
20 weeks USD 2,881
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation based on a dorm room. Upgrades are available at an additional fee.
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Support on the ground and troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Airport transfers.
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Coffee Bay, South Africa|
|Social Media, Storytelling, Content creation, Fundraising, Writing|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,531|
- Gain practical experience in a range of communications areas within a nonprofit context
- Help raise awareness for important social impact work
- Get insights into the day to day running of nonprofit community programs
- Enjoy comfortable accommodation with an idyllic location (right on the beach!)
- Enjoy a range of outdoor activities during your time off, including surfing, hiking, and exploring South Africa’s stunning Wild Coast
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a booking process, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!