Gain broad-ranging work experience in the running and development of a social impact organization
If you’re looking to get an all-round experience in the nonprofit sector, and you’re passionate about community development, this NGO internship in Zambia could be the perfect match for you. You’ll join a grassroots organization in the welcoming town of Livingstone that’s on a mission to lift people out of poverty through education, nutrition, health services, and empowerment programs.
As an NGO management intern, you’ll take on a varied role within the small field-based team. While your role will, to some extent, be tailored to your skills and interests, you can expect to get involved in a range of areas, including fundraising, stakeholder engagement, digital marketing, impact assessment and reporting, and communications. You’ll also work closely with the CEO of the organization in developing and delivering an overall strategy.
This internship in Zambia is an inspiring opportunity to get a thorough understanding of the day to day running of a nonprofit organization on a grassroots level. It’s also a chance to do meaningful work, and to immerse yourself in Zambian culture. On top of this, you’ll get to explore Livingstone’s beautiful surroundings during your time off on safaris, boat cruises, visits to the Victoria Falls, and other adventures.
Learning outcomes of this communications internship;
- Practical experience in various elements of fundraising and stakeholder management, including research, proposal writing, digital campaigns, and impact reporting
- Experience in communications within a nonprofit context
- A thorough understanding of the work involved in managing a grassroots social impact program
- An ability to contribute to overall growth and sustainability on a strategic level
- International work experience
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Facilitation, Research, Reporting, Monitoring, Education, Tree planting|
The Free Haven Community Initiative is a nonprofit organization on a mission to help families in Livingstone, Zambia break the cycle of poverty. They achieve this through four areas; education, nutrition, health services, and empowerment programs. Examples of Free Haven’s projects are tutoring programs for children who struggle at school, lunch schemes and health education, and sponsorship programs for kids who cannot afford school fees and uniforms. In order to combat gender inequality, the nonprofit also runs community workshops to raise awareness on gender-based violence, sexual health, and other related topics.
By uplifting the community through a multi-faceted approach, the Free Haven Community Initiative provides people – mostly children – with the tools to become thriving members of the community, and help both themselves and their families climb out of poverty. This, in turn, adds value to the community as a whole, and a sustainable development is set in motion.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As an NGO management intern, your tasks may vary somewhat depending on your skills and the needs of the project, but they will likely include some of the following;
- Assist with fundraising and marketing research and strategy
- Write grant applications and other funding proposals
- Assist with donor and stakeholder management
- Help run digital fundraising and marketing campaigns
- Assist with monitoring and evaluation, and impact reporting
- Write content for the website, social media, and newsletters
- Assist the CEO with overall management and strategy work
- Strong research and communication skills
- An ability and willingness to take on a wide range of different tasks
- Strategic thinking capabilities
- Ideally some experience in digital marketing and/or fundraising
- A strong passion for the work this organization does
- A flexible attitude, as you’ll be living and working in a foreign culture
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You will be based in Livingstone, a welcoming town in a unique setting. You’ll be just a short drive away from the banks of the mighty Zambezi River, and the famous Victoria Falls – so there will be plenty of opportunities to take sunset boat cruises (while spotting hippos, crocodiles or elephants!), go rafting, and be awed by the immense power of the falls. But there is plenty more that makes Livingstone appealing. During your time off, you might go on safari, do some of the daredevil activities the area is known for, or stroll around the local markets.
Your accommodation is included in the internship fee, and we’ll arrange it all for you! You’ll stay at a comfortable lodge in the heart of Livingstone, and close to your internship. We can offer you dorm or single rooms, and you’ll have use of a great number of facilities, including a large pool.
DATES & RATES
Internship start and end dates are flexible and will be discussed with your during the selection process.
What you’ll pay (2022 rates)
8 weeks USD 1,998
10 weeks USD 2,345
12 weeks USD 2,692
14 weeks USD 3,038
16 weeks USD 3,385
What you are paying for:
- Accommodation based on a dorm room. If you prefer a single or shared room, please contact us for availability and prices
- Two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) from Monday to Friday
- Airport transfers on your arrival and departure day
- Daily transport to the project
- Careful matchmaking. It takes time to find the right internship for each person, and we take this process very seriously.
- Initial interview with one of our team to gauge your skills, interests, and desired learning outcomes.
- An orientation program with your supervisor.
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- Troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- Support on the ground
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
|Community Development NGO|
|Fundraising, Marketing Management, Social Media|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 1,998|
- Gain a wealth of practical work experience in all elements of nonprofit management
- Be part of community development projects that are having a tangible impact
- Enjoy varied tasks that include digital marketing, research, fundraising, impact reporting, and donor communications
- Learn from a team of passionate and dedicated educators and charity workers
- Live and work in Livingstone, a friendly and vibrant community with stunning natural surroundings (and plenty to do in your time off!)
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a booking process, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!