INTERESTED IN A food security INTERNSHIP?
Join an exciting social enterprise in Cape Town, South Africa, that creates organic food gardens in communities that deal with socio-economic problems. It’s a wonderful opportunity to help with the ongoing sustainability of this program and gain practical work experience in writing, communications, and fundraising at the same time.
As an intern, you can either join the team on the ground, or work remotely from home. Either way, you’ll be part of a small but dedicated team on a mission to increase food security and encourage economic development in and around Cape Town.
While your tasks will depend on your skill-set and interests, you’ll be helping spread awareness of this inspiring program. You can expect to write online content and newsletters, manage social media channels, do fundraising research, and assist with funding campaigns. It’s a great opportunity for someone with a flair for telling stories, an independent approach to their work, and a passion for food security.
|Cape Town, South Africa|
|Food security, Urban farming|
Neighbourhood Farm is a social enterprise focused on improving food security in a number of communities in and around Cape Town, South Africa. By installing and managing organic food gardens in communities and at schools, the Neighborhood Farm team achieves several goals; they improve access to healthy food, educate people – especially children – on the importance of nutrition and on how to grow food, and they help create sales outlets for any surplus food. This means that food security is improved, mindsets get changed, and income is generated for people who need it.
Neighbourhood Farm firmly believes that everyone has the right to nutritious food and the knowledge to grow it themselves. The organisation’s gardens provide inspiring spaces that bring communities together in the best way possible. We’re excited to offer a variety of food security internships within this important nonprofit initiative.
TASKS & REQUIREMENTS
What you’ll do
As a communications and fundraising intern, you’ll enjoy a variety of tasks, which – depending on your skills and experience – can include;
- Writing newsletters
- Writing web copy and blogs
- Assisting with website management / development
- Managing and developing social media channels
- Doing fundraising research
- Putting grant and other funding proposals together
- Assisting with online funding campaigns
- Assisting with monitoring & evaluation and donor management
- Great writing and communication skills
- An interest in learning about all elements of fundraising
- Ideally some experience in communications
- A go-getter attitude and ability to work independently
- An interest in and passion for the work Neighborhood Farm does
- A willingness to take on a variety of tasks
WHERE YOU’LL STAY
You’ll be staying at a volunteer house called Yoga Shala, a house in Capri, on Cape Town’s Southern Peninsula. It’s a shared house where people from around the world stay while interning or volunteering in the surrounding communities. Everyone at the house plays a role and assists in the general day to day operation of yoga shala, from the kitchen to gardening and cleaning, which creates a great community in the house. You’ll be surrounded by beaches and mountains, and Cape Town’s city center is a 40-minute drive away.
DATES & RATES
You can start your internship with this organization every week. Please keep in mind this organization is closed for several weeks of summer holiday at the end of the year.
What you’ll pay (2023 rates)
8 weeks USD 2,432
12 weeks USD 3,295
16 weeks USD 4,158
20 weeks USD 5,021
26 weeks USD 6,316
Remote internship USD 525
What you are paying for:
- Daily breakfast and dinner
- Transfer from Cape Town International airport to your accommodation and back on arrival and departure day
- Assistance with finding the perfect work placement
- Assistance with your visa arrangement & other preparations
- Regular check ins during your internship with you and your supervisor.
- Your own account on a career development platform that offers content and courses focused on exploring different career opportunities
- On the ground support during your stay and troubleshooting if needed
- A reference letter at the end of your internship
- A discount on weekend activities, exclusive to Roots interns
- Flights to Cape Town
- Visa, medical and travel insurance costs for the duration of your placement – must include cover for repatriation
- Lunch, drinks, snacks, and items of personal nature (f.e. curios, gifts, clothing)
- Transport to the community farms and/or office
- Costs for additional excursions or activities
Personal Development Sessions
Workshop: Exploring the Nonprofit Landscape
|Cape Town, South Africa OR Remote|
|Communications, Writing, Fundraising|
|Min. 8 Weeks|
|From USD 2,432 (in-person) / USD 525 (remote)|
- Boost your resume with practical experience in fundraising and research
- Sharpen your writing skills by writing for a variety of platforms
- Gain a thorough understanding of the nonprofit sector
- Be part of an exciting program that works to improve food security in Cape Town
- Live and work in Cape Town (one of the coolest cities in the world!) or enjoy the flexibility of working remotely
How to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for this internship, here’s what to do:
- Fill in the application form (it will show in a new screen) and send your CV to email@example.com.
- We’ll set up a call with you to go through your application.
- If we feel it’s a good match, we’ll set up a call between you and the supervisor for this internship.
- If everyone’s happy, we’ll provisionally confirm your placement! We’ll then send you the invoice for the deposit, get started with a detailed booking form, and we’ll give you all the information you need to prepare for your upcoming adventure.
- Only once we receive payment of the deposit your placement will be confirmed.
Or if you’d just like to ask us some questions about this internship first, just fill in the contact form on the right. We’ll be happy to assist!
Nonprofit Sustainability Internship with Food Security Program
Cape Town, South Africa
Food security, Urban Farming
Help increase food security, educate children on growing food, and encourage micro-enterprises in neighborhoods in need.
Organic Farming and Water Management Internship, Cape Town
Min. 8 weeks
Cape Town, South Africa
Food security, Urban Farming, Land / Water Management
Help develop food gardens to increase food security and spread education on growing organic food.
Communications & Fundraising Internship with Food Security Program
Min. 8 weeks
Cape Town, South Africa
Communications, Writing, Fundraising
Help increase food security and encourage economic development in and around Cape Town.